John was appointed to the Group Executive on 1 January 2010 as Group Executive: Strategic Planning. John is an investment banker with extensive experience in the financial services industry, having led a number of corporate actions.
John Bestbier (54)
Group Executive: Strategic Planning
Strategic Planning prospects for 2010
The Nedbank Group strategy and strategic planning process will continue to evolve and be improved through concise articulation of strategy at a group and cluster level.
Strategic Plannings Economic Unit is highly regarded for the quality of independent economic insights and research that it consistently provides to both Nedbank Group and its clients. Research provided by the Economic Unit forms an integral part of Nedbank Groups strategic planning process referred to below.
Strategic planning in 2010 will be centred on the challenges and opportunities for Nedbank Group, including:
- improving the profitability of the Nedbank Retail cluster;
- improving Nedbanks non-interest revenue, particularly through Nedbanks bancassurance activities and improved cross-selling in other areas;
- increasing the number of new primary clients across all clusters and maintaining existing primary clients through improved value-added services;
- building on Nedbanks inherent strengths and substantive market share in the wholesale and business banking sectors;
- responding to opportunities arising from increased broadband and mobile banking accessibility and seeking innovative ways to expand Nedbank Retails distribution network;
- optimising the allocation of capital to business activities through the business cycle in order to grow businesses with high forecast economic profits and anticipate activities that are vulnerable to large cyclical impairments;
- utilising international expansion opportunities within the Southern African Development Community and the rest of
Africa within acceptable risk limits; and
- building on Nedbanks leadership in the transformation, corporate social investment and environmental spheres.