In principle, Nedbank Group will not consider or participate in sponsorships pertaining to:
- religious groups, political parties and related activities;
- blood sports or gambling (boxing, horse racing, etc);
- environmentally unfriendly activities;
- activities or events engaging direct competitor activity or other high-profile sponsors;
- groups, teams, clubs and individuals (including staff);
- regional or provincial bodies or activities;
- once-off unsustainable activities or events;
- events or activities that are exclusionary on the basis of race, religion, gender or disability; and
- overseas events or activities.
Some of the prominent sponsorships in which Nedbank Group does participate are:
GOLFThe profile of golf in South Africa has changed dramatically in recent years and the sport offers opportunities for sponsorship at every level, from competition to development, social responsibility and corporate affairs.
By sponsoring golfing events, Nedbank Group reaches a large section of both our client base and our target market. Through this sponsorship we reach the emerging market and contribute to the development of golf among women and the previously disadvantaged.The current golf portfolio of Nedbank Group Sponsorships includes:
- Nedbank Golf Challenge;
- Nedbank Group Ladies novice Pro-Am/amateur series;
- Nedbank Group Disabled Open;
- Nedbank Golf Network Card (NGN);
- Sunshine Tour official banker; and
- SportsTrust Golf Challenge (co-sponsored with Sun International as the two founding trustees).
SPORT FOR THE DISABLEDNedbank Group has had a long and mutually rewarding association with sport for the disabled the highlight being the annual Nedbank Group Championships for the Physically Disabled, which took place in Bloemfontein in 2006. The championships support our ongoing sponsorship of the SA Paralympic team, due to compete again in Beijing in 2008.
We were delighted that members of the swing clinic for disabled golfers were able to join us at the highlight of the local golfing calendar the annual Nedbank Golf Challenge held at Sun City. R1 million was raised for sports development at The Sports Trust Challenge played immediately after the main event.The current sport for the disabled portfolioof Nedbank Group Sponsorships includes:
- Nedbank Group National Championships for the Physically Disabled;
- Nedbank Group Technical Excellence and Administration Programme;
- Nedbank/Curamus Fly-fishing series for the disabled; and
- The SouthAfrican ParalympicTeam (Nedbank is a cosponsor).
The South African Paralympic campaign for Beijing 2008 was launched in Johannesburg in 2006 with corporate South Africa throwing its full financial weight behind the team. Under the banner of Against All Odds,Anythings Possible, Nedbank Group joined forces with eight other sponsors in supporting the team going to Beijing.
Nedbanks own Paralympic legend, Scott Field, will manage the team. The 2008 Beijing Games mark Nedbanks 14th year of making things happen as a sponsor of the South African Paralympic Team.
ROAD RUNNING2006 witnessed the first year of a five-year sponsorship deal with Athletics South Africa (ASA) that heralded the introduction of the Nedbank Group Matha (short course) and City Marathon Series, which includes road races staged throughout the year at venues across South Africa.
Road running is one of South Africas most popular and accessible sports. As such, the sponsorship of this popular sport gives Nedbank Group a vehicle through which effectively to engage the SA mass market. The Nedbank Group City Marathon and Matha Series have a special focus on stimulating participation among young athletes and, where possible, the promotion and inclusion of athletes with disabilities in mainstream running events will also be a key focus area.The current road-running portfolio of Nedbank Group Sponsorships includes:
- the Nedbank Group City Marathon and Matha Series; and
- the Comrades Marathon (Nedbank is a co-sponsor)
The Businesswomens AssociationNedbank Group has been the proud sponsor of the Businesswomens Association (BWA) since its inception five years ago. The sponsorship supports our Deep Green aspirations of leading transformation, being highly involved in the community and environment and being a most highly respected and aspirational brand not to mention the bank of choice for women in all markets. Our support for the BWA allows Nedbank Group to grow a quality market share of businesses owned or managed by women, based on our ability to add value and dedicated client focus.
Nedbank Business Banking is a market leader in the wine industry, providing a full range of banking services for all sectors from growers to exporters. Our sponsorship of the Cape Winemakers Guild (CWG) provides fantastic hospitality opportunities for our business units in the form of wine auctions and dinners in Johannesburg,Durban and Cape Town.In conjunction with the Nedbank Foundation, financial assistance is also provided for the workers on the wine estates through the Nedbank Group CWG Development Fund.